HashiCorp changing the license on their products

HashiCorp has announced that they are changing the license on a bunch of their products to the “Business Source License” for future releases. There is a FAQ with a bit more info:

For most end-users they probably won’t notice much of a difference.

I’m a bit of a fan of HashiCorp - I’ve use Packer and Vagrant a fair bit over the years, and had planned to deploy Vault, Nomad, and Consul at some point - so I find it a shame (though somewhat understandable) that they have decided to go down this route.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I can see why they are doing what they are doing. I don’t see myself competing with them in the future so doesn’t worry me too much :rofl:

I really like them as a company and the offerings they put out there are solid.

1 Like

7. What is considered a competitive offering?

HashiCorp considers a competitive offering to be a product or service provided to users or customers outside of your organization that has significant overlap with the capabilities of HashiCorp’s commercial products or services. For example, this definition would include providing a HashiCorp tool as a hosted service or embedding HashiCorp products in a solution that is sold competitively against our offerings.

So they’re following in the steps of Elastic and Sentry, and no longer offering Open Source / Free Software tools. I suppose the question is not ‘will forks happen’, its ‘will the forks have enough mindshare to sustain them’.